Behind Falmouth’s Blue Flag rated Gyllyngvase beach, Queen Mary Gardens are peaceful, relaxing gardens laid out in a formal style and framed by Monterey Pines. Offering a space of tranquillity and exceptional scenery displaying rich flower beds, trees and a range of subtropical species
The gardens are renowned for the proliferation of rare subtropical species that thrive in Cornwall’s milder climate, including gunnera, proteas, agapanthus and echium. Their location provides a perfect retreat from the energy and excitement of Falmouth’s award-winning Blue Flag beach. Queen Mary Gardens are often frequented with local goings-on such as wildlife surveys of the pond and Tai Chi lessons.
The site was originally marshland at the mouth of a river that silted up when Gyllyngvase Beach was developed and was transferred to Falmouth Borough Council by the Earl of Kimberley, on the condition that it became a public park. This work could not go ahead without funding, but this was provided by a lady called Agnes Mary Goldman and was opened by her in November 1912.
Well-behaved dogs on leads are welcome to accompany you in the garden which is named after the coronation of Queen Mary, the wife of George V. The gardens are free of charge for visitors and public parking is available only a short walk away, either next to the beach or at Grove Place.