We’re all back into the swing of things after the Christmas holidays and coming around to the idea of it being a whole new decade. One of the lovely things about early January (when our New Year’s resolutions are still clear in our minds) is looking forward to what the year ahead will bring. Spring lies just around the corner and 2020 is set to be one very exciting year!
For many of us filling in our new calendars, we’ll be jotting down dates and starting to get excited about the many bank holidays coming up in the New Year. There are eight bank holidays in England and Wales this year, and those planning a holiday to Cornwall might want to think about booking over a bank holiday weekend to take advantage of an extra day without taking away from their annual leave.
In Cornwall, the bank holidays often mean getting outdoors and a day on the beach might be just the thing we need.
During the Easter weekend we can start to see Cornwall beginning to blossom, and in May the two bank holidays serve as a taste of the long summer holidays that lie ahead. Our bank holidays offer precious time to wind down with loved ones and enjoy some adventure time.
Visitors to Cornwall for the early May Bank Holiday, which takes place on a Friday this year, will enjoy the fact that it falls on Helston Flora Day. This dancing festival dates to pre-Christian times as a way to welcome in the summer. Dancers line the streets and even dance in and out of houses!
Falmouth’s Fal River Festival falls this year upon the late May Spring Bank Holiday. This ten-day celebration is a community festival with over 150 events varying from the Arts to gig racing.
See below a list of UK Bank Holidays for 2020, and start planning your holiday in Cornwall!
- 1st January 2020 – New Years Day
- 10th April 2020 – Good Friday
- 13th April 2020 – Easter Monday
- 8th May 2020 – Early May Bank Holiday (VE Day)
- 25th May 2020 – Spring Bank Holiday
- 31st August 2020 – Summer Bank Holiday
- 25th December 2020 – Christmas Day
- 28th December 2020 – Boxing Day (substitute day)
Whilst you have your calendars and diaries are open, make a note of these other key dates in the Cornish Calendar, and plan your holiday accordingly!
- Valentine’s Day: Thursday 14 February
- St Piran’s Day: Thursday 5 March
- St Patrick’s Day: Sunday 17 March
- Mothering Sunday: Sunday 31 March
- St George’s Day: Tuesday 23 April
- Father’s Day: Sunday 16 June
- Halloween: Thursday 31 October
- Bonfire Night: Tuesday 5 November